Fashion at Barnard
Fashion at Barnard is an excellent opportunity for students to strengthen their knowledge of the fashion business, gain confidence, network and get ahead of the application and interview process. Fashion at Barnard in partnership with the YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund is a one day program specifically for Barnard students with a range of diverse backgrounds, academic majors and work experiences. No prior experience in fashion is required, only curiosity to learn about the sector.
Fashion at Barnard will:
- Provide you with a better understanding of various fashion careers
- Introduce tips and skills to improve applications for internships,
scholarships, and applications
- Contribute to an understanding of your personal strengths
- Present the opportunity to learn directly from fashion professionals
YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund Application Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Be a current Barnard First Year, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior graduating in Spring 2017 or Summer 2017
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above.
Please note: an overall GPA of 2.99 is not eligible.
- Upload a finalized 2017 YMA-FSF Case Study to Slide Room by
Deadline: Tuesday, November 1, 2016
- If awarded a YMA-FSF Scholarship, recipients are strongly advided to participate in a summer internship, unless there are extenuating circumbstances documenteds with a letter of explanation.
YMA Application Deadline & Winner Notification Dates
YMA Case Study Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Selected Students Notified: Wednesday, December 14, 2016
FAB Event Agenda & Overview
Fashion at Barnard - Fall 2016
Friday, September 23, 2016
Time: 8:30AM - 4:00PM
Location: Sulzberger Parlor, Barnard Hall, 3rd Fl.
8:30AM - 9:30AM
Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:30AM - 10:15AM
Laticha Brown, Assistant Professor, Fashion Business Management, FIT
Laticha Brown is an Assistant Professor in the Fashion Business Management Department at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT). Professor Brown has a distinguised merchandising career holding various buying positions working for Polo Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue, bloomingdales.com and Walmart Inc. Professor Brown has most recently made a global presence as she spent time as a study abroad faculty member teaching in China, London, Berlin and Florence.
This keynote address will focus on the topic: Technology & Fashion and The Customer Experience and will examine:
- Past, current and future trends in technology and fashion
- How technology is impacting the buyer experience
- Pedagogy at FIT with relation to new courses aimed at addressing analytics, technology and the in-user experience
10:30AM - 11:45AM
Barnard Alumnae Panel
This panel discussion will introduce Barnard students to Alumnae currently working in the Fashion industry, giving them an insider’s view of the field. This session will provide students with an opportunity to strengthen their knowledge of the fashion business, network and receive advice on how to be successful in this exciting and rewarding field.
Jordana Kaminestsky '12, Omni Planner, Women's Ready to Wear, Bloomingdales
Jennifer Ngo '15, Associate Merchandiser, Ralph Lauren
Lia Tung '13, Assistant Planner, Lingerie SAKS Fifth Avenue
12:00PM - 1:00PM
Lunch + HR Fashion Panel Discussion
This panel discussion will introduce Barnard students to HR professionals currently working in the fashion industry. This session will provide students with an opportunity to learn about the required skills required to enter this exciting and rewarding field.
Anne Giles, Assistant Manager, College Relations, Bloomingdales
Paramita Roy '15, HR Executive Trainee, Macy's
Megan Sterling, HR Coordinator, Christian Louboutin
1:15PM - 2:15PM
Resume Workshop & LinkedIn Presentation
This workshop will provide students with tips on how to write a solid fashion resume and utilize LinkedIn to successfully build your brand and network in the Fashion industry.
Presented by: Anne Giles, Assistant Manager, College Relations, Bloomingdales
2:30PM - 3:30PM
YMA Scholarship Fund Information Session
Learn about the YMA Scholarship Fund and how you can apply to win a $5,000 Scholarship.
Presented by: Marc Mastronardi, EVP/GMM Center Core, Macy's Inc
FAB Event Concludes
- Adhere to all instructions and deadlines associated with the program
- Be prompt for onsite and offsite programs
- Maintain professionalism in my interactions with speakers,
BCD staff, and peers
Questions? Please contact Donna Holder, Career Development at: email@example.com