Fashion at Barnard
Fashion at Barnard is an excellent opportunity for students to strengthen their knowledge of the fashion business, gain confidence, network and get ahead of the application and interview process. Fashion at Barnard in partnership with the YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund is a one day program specifically for Barnard students with a range of diverse backgrounds, academic majors and work experiences. No prior experience in fashion is required, only curiosity to learn about the sector.
Fashion at Barnard will:
- Provide you with a better understanding of various fashion careers
- Introduce tips and skills to improve applications for internships,
scholarships, and applications
- Contribute to an understanding of your personal strengths
- Present the opportunity to learn directly from fashion professionals
2018 YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund Application Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Be a current Barnard First Year, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior graduating in Spring 2018 or Summer 2018
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above.
Please note: an overall GPA of 2.99 is not eligible.
- Upload a finalized 2018 YMA-FSF Case Study to Slide Room by
Deadline: Monday, October 16, 2017
- If awarded a YMA-FSF Scholarship, recipients are strongly advised to participate in a summer internship, unless there are extenuating circumbstances documenteds with a letter of explanation.
YMA Application Deadline & Winner Notification Dates
YMA Case Study Application Deadline: Monday, October 16, 2017
Selected Students Notified: TBA
FAB Event Agenda & Overview
2017 Fashion at Barnard
Date: Friday, September 29, 2017
Time: 10:30AM - 2:45PM
Location: Sulzberger Parlor, Barnard Hall, 3rd Fl.
10:30AM - 11:00AM
Registration & Continental Breakfast
11:00AM - 11:45AM
Lauren Wilner, Vice President of Global Collaborations, Macy's
Bio - TBA
This keynote address will focus on the topic: Technology & Fashion and The Customer Experience and will examine:
- Past, current and future trends in technology and fashion
- How technology is impacting the buyer experience
- Pedagogy at FIT with relation to new courses aimed at addressing analytics, technology and the in-user experience
12:00PM - 1:15PM
Lunch & Barnard Alumnae Panel
This panel discussion will introduce Barnard students to Alumnae currently working in the Fashion industry, giving them an insider’s view of the field. This session will provide students with an opportunity to strengthen their knowledge of the fashion business, network and receive advice on how to be successful in this exciting and rewarding field.
Cleo Davis-Urman '11, Fashion Director, SAKS Fifth Avenue
Toby Goldstein '02, Director of Sales & Operations, Michael Aram, Inc.
Jordana Kaminetsky-Berstein '12, Omini Planner, Women's Ready to Wear, Bloomingdales
Lia May Tung '13, Wholesale Business Analyst, Kering Eyewear
Alexandra Peaslee '15, Merchandise Planner, Ralph Lauren
1:30PM - 2:45PMPM
HR Fashion Panel Discussion
This panel discussion will introduce Barnard students to HR professionals currently working in the fashion industry. This session will provide students with an opportunity to learn about the required skills required to enter this exciting and rewarding field.
Caitlyn Aranguren, Talent Acquisition Recruiter, Coach, Inc.
Tish Archie-Oliver, Director, Recruiting Initiatives & Diversity Outreach
Anne Giles, Assistant Manager, College Relations, Bloomingdales
Nissa Searight, HR Coordinator, College Relations Team, Macy's
FAB Event Concludes
- Adhere to all instructions and deadlines associated with the program
- Be prompt for onsite and offsite programs
- Maintain professionalism in my interactions with speakers,
BCD staff, and peers
Questions? Please contact Donna Holder, Career Development at: email@example.com