Winter Break Housing
All Barnard residence halls will be closed for Winter Break from 9am on Friday, December 23, 2021, through 9am on Saturday, January 15, 2022.
Winter Break housing for the 2021-22 Winter Break will be offered on an extremely limited basis. Winter Break Housing is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request is not approved. Students must provide documentation to support their request to be in residence during the break.
- Plimpton Hall is the only residence hall open for approved students during Winter Break before the Early Return period starts. Approved students with assignments in other residence halls would need to temporarily relocate for the break.
- Students who only need to apply for housing starting Sunday, January 9, 2022 or later, should apply for Early Winter Return instead.
|Monday, November 8, 2021||Reques form available on the Housing Portal|
|Wednesday, December 1, 2021||Deadline to request Winter Break Housing, including personal statement|
|Friday, December 10, 2021||Decisions will be emailed to students who submitted requests|
|Monday, December 20, 2021||4pm deadline to cancel Winter Break Housing without a charge|
|Tuesday, December 21 -
Wednesday, December 22, 2021
|Students approved for Winter Break must sign for a WB ID sticker and temporary Plimpton room keys (if applicable) at the Res Life office (open 9am-5pm)|
|Thursday, December 23, 2021||Residence Halls close for Winter Break at 9am
(only Plimpton Hall will remain open for approved students)
|Sunday, January 9, 2022||Other residence halls open for approved students at 9am. Students who stayed in Plimpton temporary rooms for the first part of the break must relocate to their Spring room assignment and check out of Plimpton by 5pm (turning in keys to Sulzberger Front Desk)|
|Saturday, January 15, 2022||Residence Halls reopen for Spring Semester (for all students)|
Students will be considered only if they:
- Are in good standing with the College & University.
- Students must not be on any type of probation (academic or disciplinary)
- Students must have paid or have a valid payment plan in place for their Spring bill (by the December payment deadline)
- Have a campus housing assignment for both the Fall & Spring semesters
- Students returning from a Fall semester abroad, students returning from a leave of absence for the Spring, and/or students new to campus housing for the Spring are not eligible for Winter Break Housing (these students may start moving in on Saturday, January 15, 2021).
Winter Break Housing Request Form -- click the "Winter Break" button
- Deadline to complete request (and personal statement) is 11:59pm Wednesday, December 1, 2021
- All requests will be reviewed on an individual case-by-case basis.
- Approval should not be assumed and is not guaranteed. Students who received permission in previous years are not guaranteed to be approved again.
- Students should plan accordingly in case their request is not approved.
* CU students living at Barnard who wish to request Winter Break Housing must also apply before the deadline and have a valid reason in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic and not guaranteed.
Students who are approved for Winter Break Housing must sign for Winter Break ID Sticker at the Res Life office.
- Between 9am-5pm on Tuesday, December 21, or Wednesday, December 22, 2021
- No Sticker = No Entry
Students who do not have a Spring room assignment in Plimpton will need to temporarily relocate for Winter Break. They will also sign for their temporary Plimpton room keys when they pick up their WB sticker.
- These students will need to take with them what they need for over the break, because they will not be able to access their Spring room assignment again until January 9.
- These students will need to relocate to their Spring room assignment on Sunday, January 9, 2022, when the other halls reopen for the Early Winter Return period. They will need to check out and turn in the temporary Plimpton room keys to the *Sulzberger* Front Desk by 5pm.
Please see barnard.edu/reslife/winter-break-policies.