Early Winter Return
December 22, 2021 -- Previous approvals for early return have been cancelled per the email to the Barnard Community about the Spring 2022 semester. Updated information will be posted when available.
All Barnard residence halls will be closed for Winter Break from 9am on Friday, December 23, 2021, through 9am on Saturday, January 15, 2022.
Students with valid needs may request Early Winter Return, i.e. to return to campus housing early starting at 9am on Sunday, January 9, 2022. The deadline to submit the request form & provide required documentation (see below) is 4pm on Monday, December 13, 2021.
Early Winter Return request form (on the Housing Portal)
- Deadline: 4pm Monday, December 13, 2021
All requests must supported by documentation submitted before the deadline above. Students should submit one of the following:
- Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form (PDF)
- Or, a written personal statement
All requests will be reviewed on an individual case-by-case basis. Approval should not be assumed and is not guaranteed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request is not approved.
* Columbia students living at Barnard who wish to return early must apply before the deadline and have a valid reason in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic.
|Monday, November 8, 2021||Early Winter Return Request Form available on Housing Portal|
|Monday, December 13, 2021||4pm deadline to Apply for Early Winter Return (including required documentation)|
|Monday, December 20, 2021||Students who submitted applications should receive an email by 11pm, letting them know if their request was approved or denied|
|Thursday, December 23, 2021||Residence Halls close for Winter Break at 9am
Extensions are not available
|Monday, January 3, 2022||Deadline to cancel Early Winter Return without a charge|
|Sunday, January 9, 2022||Students approved for Early Return may enter the residence halls starting at 9am
Note: students will need to sign up for re-entry COVID-19 testing (details to follow)
|Saturday, January 15, 2022||Residence Halls reopen for Spring Semester (for all students)|
Students will be considered only if they:
- Are in good standing with the College & University.
- Students must not be on any type of probation (academic or disciplinary)
- Students must have paid or have a valid payment plan in place for their Spring bill (by the December payment deadline)
- Have a campus housing assignment for both the Fall & Spring semesters
- Students returning from a Fall semester abroad, students returning from a leave of absence for the Spring, and/or students new to campus housing for the Spring are not eligible for Winter Break Housing (these students may start moving in on Saturday, January 15, 2021).
- $100 early move-in fee* for approved students
- Fee must be paid by January 1, 2021 (will be put on student account in late December)
* CU students living at Barnard approved for Early Winter Return will not be charged the Early Return fee, but must apply before the deadline and have a valid reason to return early in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic.
The following student groups only will not be charged as long as they submit a completed Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form before the deadline:
- January NSOP Orientation Leaders
- VISP Ambassadors
- BCIT Training
- RA Training
- Varsity athletes with scheduled competitions
- Approved students may cancel Early Winter Return without a fee through 4pm Monday, January 3, 2022 (email firstname.lastname@example.org to request to cancel)
- No refunds of the early return fee after that date
- To cancel, go to the Early Winter Break request form and click the "Cancel Request" to fill out the cancellation form.
- Stop by Res Life office (110 Sulzberger, M-F 9am-5pm) when you return in January to get a WB sticker for your ID
- Students who got Mid-Year Room Changes will move into their new Spring room (i.e. not return to the Fall assignment)
Please see barnard.edu/reslife/winter-break-policies.