Early Winter Return
Information about the potential availability of Winter Break Housing and/or Early Winter Return for Winter Break 2021 will be shared to students by early November.
All Barnard residence halls will be closed for Winter Break between 9am on Friday, December 20, 2019, through 9am on Friday, January 17, 2020.
Students with valid needs may apply for Early Winter Return, i.e. to return to campus housing early starting at 9am on Sunday, January 12, 2020. The deadline to apply for an Early Winter Return and provide required documentation (see below) is 4pm on Monday, December 13, 2019.
Early Winter Return is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request is denied. Students must provide documentation to support their request to return early to campus housing.
- Early Winter Return request form -- click "Winter Break" on the menu bar
- Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form (PDF)
|Monday, October 28, 2019||Early Winter Return Request Form available on Housing Portal|
|Friday, December 13, 2019||4pm deadline to Apply for Early Winter Return (including required documentation)|
|Thursday, December 19, 2019||Students who submitted applications should receive an email by this point, letting them know if their request was approved or denied|
|Friday, December 20, 2019||Residence Halls close for Winter Break at 9am. Extensions are not available|
|Friday, January 3, 2020||Deadline to cancel Early Winter Return without a charge|
|Sunday, January 12, 2020||Students approved for Early Return may enter the residence halls starting at 9am|
|Friday, January 17, 2020||Residence Halls reopen for Spring Semester (for all students)|
Students will be considered only if they:
- Are in good standing with the College & University.
- Students must not be on any type of probation (academic or disciplinary)
- Students must have paid or have a valid payment plan in place for their Spring bill (by the December 1 deadline)
- Have a campus housing assignment for both the Fall & Spring semesters
- Students returning from a Fall semester abroad, students readmitted to the College for the Spring, and/or students new to campus housing for the Spring are not eligible for Winter Break Housing Return (these students may start moving in on Friday, January 17, 2020).
- Deadline for all forms is 4pm Friday, December 13, 2019
- All requests must include documentation supporting the request. Examples include:
- The Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form (see above)
- A written personal statement
- All requests will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- Approval should not be assumed and is not guaranteed.
- Students should plan accordingly in case their request is not approved.
- Late applications are likely not to be approved (and would carry a $100 late fee if approved)
Columbia students living at Barnard who wish to return early must apply before the deadline and have a valid reason in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic.
- $100 early move-in fee* for approved students
- Fee must be paid by January 1, 2019 (will be put on student account in late December)
Columbia students living at Barnard approved for Early Winter Return will not be charged the Early Return fee, but must apply before the deadline and have a valid reason to request to return early in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic.
The following student groups will not be charged as long as they submit a completed Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form before the deadline:
- January NSOP Orientation Leaders
- VISP Ambassadors
- BCIT Training
- RA Training
- Varsity athletes with scheduled competitions
There are no individual or other group waivers of the Early Winter Return fee.
- Approved students may cancel Early Winter Return without a fee through 4pm Friday, January 3, 2020 (email firstname.lastname@example.org to request to cancel)
- No refunds of the early return fee after that date
- Stop by Res Life office (110 Sulzberger, M-F 9am-5pm) when you return in January to get a WB sticker for your ID
- Students who got Mid-Year Room Changes will move into their new Spring room (i.e. not return to Fall assignment)
Please see barnard.edu/reslife/winter-break-policies.