Early Winter Return (2018)
Updated application information for 2019 will be posted by late October.
All Barnard residence halls will be closed for Winter Break between 9am on Friday, December 21, 2018, through 9am on Thursday, January 17, 2019. Unfortunately, extensions cannot be provided.
Students with valid needs may apply for Early Winter Return, i.e. to return to campus housing early starting at 9am on Sunday, January 13, 2019. The deadline to apply for an Early Winter Return and provide required documentation (see below) is 4pm on Monday, December 3, 2018.
Early Winter Return is not guaranteed and approval should not be assumed. Students should plan accordingly in case their request is denied. Students must provide documentation to support their request to return early to campus housing.
- Request form -- click "Winter Break" on the menu bar
- Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form (PDF)
|Monday, November 12, 2018||Early Winter Return Request Form available on Housing Portal|
|Monday, December 3, 2018, at 4pm||Deadline to Apply for Early Winter Return (including required documentation)|
|Tuesday, December 11, 2018, by 11pm||Students who submitted applications should receive an email by this point, letting them know if their request was approved or denied|
|Wednesday, December 19, 2018, at 4pm||Deadline to cancel Early Winter Return without a charge|
|Friday, December 21, 2018, at 9am||Residence Halls close for Winter Break. Extensions are not available.|
|Sunday, January 13, 2019, at 9am||The earliest date/time that students approved for Early Winter Return may start to return to campus housing|
|Thursday, January 17, 2019, at 9am||Residence Halls reopen for Spring Semester (all students continuing from the Fall in housing may return to their rooms)|
Students will be considered only if they:
- Are in good standing with the College & University.
- Students must not be on any type of probation (academic or disciplinary)
- Students must have paid or have a valid payment plan in place for their Spring bill (which is due December 1, 2018)
- Have a campus housing assignment for both Fall 2018 and Spring 2019
- Students returning from a Fall semester abroad, students readmitted to the College for the Spring, and/or students new to campus housing for the Spring are not eligible for Winter Break Housing Return (these students may start moving in on Thursday, January 17, 2019).
Early Winter Return Request form -- click "Winter Break" on the menu bar
Early Winter Return Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form(PDF)
- Request form deadline is 4pm Monday, December 3, 2018
- All requests must include documentation supporting the request. Examples include:
- The Coach / Supervisor / Advisor form (see above)
- A written personal statement
- All requests will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- Approval should not be assumed and is not guaranteed.
- Students should plan accordingly in case their request is not approved.
- Late applications are likely not to be approved (and would carry a $50 late fee if approved)
Columbia students living at Barnard who wish to return early must apply before the deadline and have a valid reason in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic.
- $50 early move-in fee* for approved students
- Fee must be paid by January 1, 2019 (will be put on student account in late December)
Columbia students living at Barnard approved for Early Winter Return will not be charged the Early Return fee, but must apply before the deadline and have a valid reason to request to return early in order to be approved. Approval is not automatic.
The following student groups will not be charged as long as they both submit the required application forms and their coach or supervisor provides their name to Res Life before the deadline (4pm, Monday, December 3, 2018)
- January NSOP Orientation Leaders
- VISP Ambassadors
- BCIT Training
- RA Training
- Winter Varsity athletes in competition
There are no individual or other group waivers of the Early Winter Return fee.
- Should receive a response by 9pm Tuesday, December 11, 2018.
- May cancel without a fee through 4pm Wednesday, December 19, 2018 (email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel)
- No refunds of fee after that date
- Stop by Res Life office (110 Sulzberger, M-F 9am-5pm) when you return in January to get a WB sticker for your ID
- Students who got Mid-Year Room Changes will move into their new Spring room (i.e. not return to Fall assignment)
As noted below, students with approval for Early Winter Return are limited to signing in 1 guest at time until the residence halls officially reopen for the Spring on Wednesday, January 10, 2018. Guests are limited to an overnight stay of one night. Minors (guests 16 years old or younger) are not permitted to enter during Winter Break.
Please see barnard.edu/reslife/winter-break-policies.