The Department of Education randomly selects certain FAFSA records for a process called Federal Verification. When a FAFSA is selected, there are additional financial aid requirements necessary to confirm your financial aid eligibility. A message included in your FAFSA confirmation report (the Student Aid Report or SAR) will inform you of your selection for this process and additional documents will added to your Financial Aid Checklist.
Documents Required to Complete the Verification Process
- Verification Worksheet: This form will be added to a student's Financial Aid Checklist if they are selected for federal verification.
- Income Documentation: Additional income documentation is required from both the student and parent based on their tax filing status. Please review the table below to determine which documents you need to submit.
Required Income Documents
Please select the tax filing status below to determine which additional income documents you will need to submit to complete the verification process. Please note that income documentation is required from both the student and the parent.
- 2018 Tax Return Transcript if it is available for free
- A signed copy of your 2018 non-U.S. Tax Return
Submit the following:
- Students & Parents: Barnard College Tax Non-Filer Form (available in the Financial Aid Portal)
- Parents Only: IRS Verification of Nonfiling Letter (obtained online on the IRS website)
2020-2021 Federal Verification Deadlines
- A student enrolled in the fall 2019 term must submit required verification documentation by November 1, 2020.
- A student who begins enrollment in the spring 2020 term must submit required verification documentation by March 2, 2021.
If a student does not provide the verification documentation by the College deadline, the College will cancel her subsidized federal aid for the award year.
The Financial Aid Office reserves the right to request additional documentation as needed to complete the federal verification process.