International Opportunities for Students
BA/MA Program with the Paris Institute of Political Studies (Sciences Po): The BA/MA program allows selected undergraduate students from Barnard College to follow an intensive joint program in the social sciences with Sciences Po Paris. Students apply to the BA/MA program during the second semester of their sophomore year and are "pre-accepted" to a master's program at Sciences Po. Selected students spend their junior year at Barnard, during which they are expected to maintain a certain gpa and complete certain courses or other requirements. In their senior year, students remain enrolled at Barnard but study as first year master’s students at Sciences Po in Paris, after which they receive their bachelor’s degree from Barnard. Students then remain a second year at Sciences Po to complete their master's degree from Sciences Po. By completing this joint program students obtain both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in just five years.
Beyond Barnard - The first stop for all Barnard students considering international internships or research
The Beyond Barnard Internship Program provides an opportunity for funding for students engaged in unpaid internships, including abroad. The office also provides guidance on applying for research fellowships, including a number of internal Barnard fellowships that will fund thesis research abroad: the CJC for the Arts Grant, the Lucyle Hook Travel Grants, the Peter Juviler and Dennis Dalton Human Rights Fellowship Fund, the Margot Krut Fund for the Performing Arts, and the Tow Summer Research Fellowship.
Students who have declared their major should also consult with their advisors about any department-specific funding.
- Social Enterprise Summer Fellowships, The Tamer Center for Social Enterprise, Columbia Business School
- Mitsui Research Fellowship, Weatherhead East Asian Institute
- Weatherhead Undergraduate Training Grant, Weatherhead East Asian Institute
- Alternative Break Program
- Summer Ecosystem Experiences for Undergraduates, The Earth Institute
- ILAS Undergraduate Internship Travel Grant
- The Undergraduate Israel Fellowship, Institute for Israel and Jewish Studies
- Naomi Prawer Kadar Fellowship for Yiddish Studies, Institute for Israel and Jewish Studies
- Middle East Institute Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
- Harriman Institute Undergraduate Fellowship Program
- School of International and Public Affairs
- Institute of African Studies, Columbia U
- The Center for the Ancient Mediterranean (CAM)
- Columbia Center for Archaeology
- Fieldwork opportunities in the US and abroad
- Media Center for Art History
- Institute of Latin American Studies (ILAS)
- Lemann Center for Brazilian Studies
- Center for Mexican Studies
- Cuba Program
- Greater Caribbean Studies Center
- Center for Buddhism & East Asian Religions
- Center for Climate and Life
- Center for Climate Systems Research
- Center for Resilient Cities and Landscapes
- Columbia Climate Center
- Columbia Global Centers
- Institute for Comparative Literature and Society
- Council for European Studies
- The Earth Institute
- The European Institute
- BA/MA in European History, Politics, and Society
- Center on Global Economic Governance
- Center on Global Energy Policy
- Women in Energy Initiative, Center on Global Energy Policy
- Harriman Institute – Russian, Eurasian, and East European Studies
- Ehsan Yarshater Center for Iranian Studies
- Institute for Israel and Jewish Studies
- The Center for Korean Research
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Language Resource Center
- Middle East Institute
- Center for Palestine Studies
- Center for the Study of Social Difference
- South Asia Center
- Weatherhead East Asian Institute
Barnard College is working with the Columbia Global Centers to offer international students study spaces and, where possible, the opportunity to connect with each other and access campus programming. Please note that Barnard and Columbia are limited in terms of what they can offer in certain locations based on the current local health situation, lock-down measures and infrastructure availability. At the moment the following Global Centers are available:
The Columbia Global Centers office is also offering Columbia-designated WeWork spaces in the following cities:
- Hong Kong
Students in other cities are eligible for a WeWork access pass if available. For more information and for registration, please go the University Initiative for International Students website. Please note that, due to the College’s restriction on international travel, it is not possible for students to travel to Global Centers and designated WeWork spaces from other countries. Students should be within commuting distance of Global Centers and designated spaces; neither the Global Centers nor Barnard are able to provide housing.
Barnard’s current planning for the Centers includes:
- Global Centers as a Barnard hub: Students within commuting distance of the Centers and designated spaces will be able to use them as a hub, assuming the local health situation allows for this. The Centers and designated spaces offer secure wifi, a place to study and meet safely with peers.
- Programming at the Centers: In addition to online programming, Barnard is working with students in a variety of cities to organize in-person events and study groups. Where possible, events involving local alumnae are also being organized.
- Collaborations with local partner universities: Barnard is collaborating with local partner universities in China to offer the possibility of an in-person course.
President Beilock met with international students over Zoom on December 10, 2020 to discuss plans for the Spring semester and how to remain connected to Barnard and Columbia while abroad. She was joined by Barnard and Columbia administrators, including Emy Cardoza, Associate Dean for Student Life; Giorgio DiMauro, Associate Provost for International Initiatives; Wendy Garay, Dean for International Students; Nikki Youngblood Giles, Vice-Dean for Campus Life; and Safwan Masri, Executive Vice President for the Columbia Global Centers.